Dr. Ed L. West Scholarship Program
The TASBO Foundation offers a scholarship program to encourage current school business officials to remain in the profession and pursue advanced degree training. Scholarships will be annually renewed subject to students meeting the renewal requirements. The Scholarship Program is administered by the TASBO Foundation, a 501(c)3 corporation. The TASBO Foundation’s Board of Directors is comprised of the past president for the prior year of TASBO, who serves as the Chair; the immediate past president of TASBO, who serves as the Vice-Chair; and the Executive Director of TASBO, serves as the Secretary.
To enhance the skills of school business officials by encouraging them to seek graduate and undergraduate degree training with the explicit intent to remain in the profession in school business and operations.
Deadline for receiving the scholarship applications is May 1st at 5:00 PM of each year. All applications are to be sent to the TASBO Headquarters, attention Executive Director.
Two seven year, $1,000 per year scholarships. Funding ends upon graduation if that occurs before seven years. The award is subject to students meeting the annual renewal requirements and subject to the TASBO Foundation’s Board of Directors funding the scholarship each year.
One three year, $1,000 per year scholarship. Funding ends at graduation if that occurs before three years. The award is subject to students meeting the annual renewal requirements and subject to the TASBO Foundation’s Board of Directors funding the scholarship each year.
Qualifications for Award Recipients
Scholarship Award Requirements
- Must be a practicing school business or operations employee pursuing a degree in a school business or operations related field.
- Must demonstrate a commitment to public school administration: a minimum of twenty-four (24) months of continuous public school employment by date of application.
- Must demonstrate professional activity and excellence in school business management: Must provide a letter of recommendation by the immediate supervisor or administrator and two other persons who have knowledge of the candidate's professional ability. Letters should include any awards or recognition by the district.
- Must demonstrate the ability to set and achieve personal goals: honors, awards, accomplishments.
- Must demonstrate leadership qualities: offices held, committee work, and volunteer work.
- Must demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively: In writing, as evidenced by completion of application.
- Demonstration of financial need may enhance candidate's selection.
- Scholarship checks will be made payable to the college or university.
- If the recipient withdraws from the college or university without completing the year, a pro rata refund must be made to the Scholarship Fund.
Application Format and Content
The application format is flexible, but must be a typed information sheet (not a resume) including all of the following information.
- Name, home address, and telephone number
- School district name, mailing address and phone number
- Service record to verify employment requirements
- An official transcript should be obtained from the most recent college or university attended and/or the institution from which the applicant graduated
- Career history and areas of certification
- Volunteer participation, committee participation, etc.
- Special awards or accomplishments, professional association recognition, offices held, etc
- The applicant’s explanation (not to exceed two pages, typed and double-spaced) as to what he/she feels is his/her greatest personal achievement in education
- Explanation of financial need if appropriate
- Three letters of recommendation (see qualifications)
- A color 3"X5" photograph that is suitable for publication
Annual Renewal Requirements
All scholarships are awarded on a one-year renewable basis contingent upon students meeting the following performance standards:
- Recipients must maintain a 3.0 grade point average
- Recipients must be in attendance for two (2) semesters during the year.
- Recipients must maintain a major in school business or operations related field.
- Produce transcripts and copies of their degree plan for the previous year.
Upon TASBO’s receipt of documentation for these requirements, scholarships will be renewed automatically on or before September 1.
Scholarship Awards Committee
The TASBO Foundation’s Board of Directors will appoint a scholarship awards committee.
Applications will be reviewed and recommendations for awards will be made by the scholarship awards committee. The scholarships will be awarded in time for fall enrollment.
Officers, directors, and staff members of the TASBO Foundation and/or TASBO and their family members are not eligible for these scholarships.
For more information or questions regarding the TASBO Scholarship Program call
at the TASBO headquarters office in Austin at (512) 462-1711 ext. 213 or 1-800-338-6531 ext. 213.