Begin Your Certification
- Complete Coursework: Attend TASBO courses in person and/or online. Each TASBO certification course is identified by an alpha-numeric code (ex. ACT106 or PUR101), which indicates the area of specialty and the level.
- Submit Application: To apply, log in to your profile and select the yellow Certification Enrollment button on the right-hand side. Select the certification level you want to enroll in and load your documents and apply online. Please note, a minimum number of years of school business and/or operations experience is required for each type of certification. Additional eligibility requirement includes working in a school or qualifying organization (such as an Education Service Center or the Texas Education Agency) at the time of application.
Decide which certification is best for you. You can upgrade your TASBO Certification as you learn; course credit earned under any certification level can be credited toward higher certification. You are not required to obtain one level before another, but the highest level will supersede any lower level of certification.
|Requirement||Certified Texas School Business Specialist (CTSBS)||Certified Texas School Business Official (CTSBO)||Registered Texas School Business Official (RTSBO)||Registered Texas School Business Administrator (RTSBA)|
Total number of TASBO courses to complete
Areas of specialization
Required Management Track
Required Management Track
Number of courses in each area of specialty
Number of courses required in the classroom (not online)
Total years of school business and operations experience
Bachelor’s degree required
General Certification Requirements
- While you do not need to be a member of TASBO to earn one of our certifications, members receive discounts on all courses and training.
- To be eligible for TASBO Certification, you must be working in a Texas public or nonpublic school or qualifying organization (such as Texas Regional Education Service Centers or the Texas Education Agency) at the time of application.
- MGT307 Business Ethics is a required course for all levels of certification.
- Each TASBO certification course is identified by an alpha-numeric code (for example, ACT106 or PUR101), which indicates the course's area of specialty, and the level of the course.
- After completion of the coursework and experience requirements, submit your online Certification Application with all supporting documents to TASBO.
Areas of Specialization
Certification courses are based on the following areas:
- Distribution and Inventory
- Information Technology
- Internal Auditing
- IT Management
- Maintenance and Operations
- Purchasing & Supply Management
- Risk Management & Safety
- School Nutrition
- Instructional Materials
CTSBS and CTSBO: Choose which curriculum area(s) to specialize in; please note management is NOT an area of specialization.
RTSBO and RTSBA: Do not choose an area to specialize in, there is a required series of management courses.
Management Courses Required for RTSBO and RTSBA
- MGT301: Functions and Duties of School Business Administrators
- MGT303: Approaches to Management and Leadership
- MGT306: Board Policies and Administrative Procedures
- MGT307: Business Ethics
- MGT308: Effective Communications OR MGT320 Effective Advocacy – Navigating the Political Process
- MGT309: Business Administration and the Law
- MGT310: Long-Range Planning OR MGT321 Managing for Performance Excellence
- MGT317: Financial Essentials OR MGT318: Advanced Financial Concepts